Saturday, December 3, 2011

Iconic Beauty


There is only one way to describe Peggy and that she is beautiful in every sense of the word. I have loved and admired her most of my life, and the best thing is that she looks like me. I know most women look to magazines and TV for images of beauty but I found beautiful  images of women to immolate and admire in my church up-close and personal. I know that I base some of my personal style and flare from all of them. For instance,  my stilettos Auntie Lynda, Unique outfit and panache Peggy, and hair Suge. One I haven't quite mastered is Miss Crum's hat game I'm still working on that one.  One of my most fondest memories of Peggy is that one Saturday when I was a little girl, the area baptist churches were having a community softball game. This was back in the day when it didn't matter what church you belong to we all knew each other and fellowshiped together. This particular Saturday my church  New Hope Baptist church was playing a game against Mont Olivet. A friend and I were playing against the wall that led out to the baseball diamond. Peggy rolls up on her bike as usual she is sporting a wide smile and she stopped to talk to us. I remember her getting ready to play and locking her up her bike and then she pulls out this thick red tube that said Bonnie Bell Lipsmaker and it has two big strawberries on it. I said" I didn't  know grown women wore lip gloss" and she said "yes they do".  From that point on I had to have one. I would not let up on begging my mom for one. So finally, she bought me bonnie bell lip smacker tin  that slid to open with the two flavors. I was too thrilled to have one and I have never been without a lip gloss,stick, or balm since. Another  thing that stand out in my mind about Peggy is her warm and kind spirit .  She has a beauty that radiates from the inside out and spills out when she speaks. One Sunday she read the poem Footprints in the Sand by Mary Stevenson to this day it stays within my heart and soul, because you can tell the poem meant something to her. You could see and feel that this was not just a poem to her. It was one of those moments where you wanted to know and serve the God she served. Especially when she got to the part "During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you". Peggy reading that poem in that way I know for sure goes down in our church history finer moments and history. Peggy is iconic to because her beauty never fades, her inner beauty can be seen, and her just being Peggy my greatest beauty icon of all time.

She shared with me her beauty regimen and her it is below in her own words.



 I can not say that I do anything out-of-the-ordinary.  I can say, however, that I love the Lord and His Love which He poured into me I love sharing with others.  I really do want to be a vessel that is fit for the Lord's use!  I give Him the praise, the glory and the honor for His Spirit of LOVE! And I believe that it is His Spirit which you see shining through me ... you call it beauty!  I know that it is His spirit within me.

You might also know that I am a positive individual who looks for the good in every situation and believe that “all things are working together for good”  because of my love for the Lord.

Thirdly, the Lord has given me a desire to be physically fit and it is routine for me to exercise on a regular basis.  I can remember back as early as when I was approximately 5 years old that I had this desire to be physically fit.  And I would do that by running, jumping rope, jumping jacks, sit-ups, and other forms of exercise.  I continue that desire for a temple which is fit - both spiritually and physically - for the Lord's use.  I know that physical exercise has value (yes, it is a good thing!), but spiritual exercise (reading my Word, praying, attending church regularly, etc.) is much more important, for it promises a reward both in this life and in eternity.  I try to maintain that balance.

Lastly, I will reiterate that (what you call beauty) that you see in me does not come from my makeup, my short hairstyle, my high cheekbones, my physical stature, or looking good in a beautiful outfit.  Rather it radiates from the inside out, from a heart that loves the Lord!  "It is in Him that I live, move and have my being"!

No comments: